Can I work legally in the UK



In order to work in the UK legally you must have permission to work from the UK Border Agency.


The UK voted to leave the European Union in the 23 June 2016 EU referendum.

Department for Exiting the European Union.

EE (European Economic Area) Citizen


If you are an EE (European Economic Area) national, then you are most likely allowed to work in the UK. You might have to register with the Worker Registration Scheme. If you are a citizen from the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia or Slovenia, you no longer need to register with the Worker Registration Scheme (WRS) and do not need any specific permission in order to work in the UK. WRS closed on 30 April 2011. From 1st January 2014 citizens of Romania and Bulgaria do not need permission from Home Office to work in the UK. Please visit the official Home Office website for more information.

EEA nationals do not require a visa to travel to the UK. The national passport or a national identity card from any EEA country is sufficient for citizens to exercise their right of free movement in the EEA (and Switzerland). Furthermore, EEA nationals have the same rights to enter, live and work in the UK as UK citizens.

European Economic Area

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

Switzerland is not in the EEA, however, Swiss nationals have the same rights as EEA nationals.


If you are an EU citizen and have worked in the UK for more than 5 years, you could be eligible to apply for permanent UK residency. You will have to provide formal records/documents  proving your time in employment.

Why should I apply for permanent residency

Permanent residency permits you to live in the UK for the rest of your life, free to exit and enter as you wish, providing you do not remain outside of the UK for more than 2 years. If you leave the UK for more than 2 years without returning you permanent residence will be automatically lost.


European citizens working in the UK are being strongly advised to apply for permanent residency

(Courtesy of VOX Channel via YouTube)

Non-EEA Citizens


Non-EEA citizens need a visa to enter the UK as well as work permits to work. Rules and regulations depend on which country you come from.

Your visa or permit needs to state one of the following:

• exemption from immigration control

• indefinite leave to remain

• no time limit to their stay in the UK

• having a Certificate of Entitlement

How many hours can I legally work as a student

Arriving in the UK as a student, generally, undergraduate and postgraduate students from a non-EEA country are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during term time. Their working hours may be increased during school holidays.


If you do not have a British passport you need to contact your embassy in the UK as soon as you notice your passport gone missing. Alternatively, you will need to get a LS01 form from the Post Office or download a copy of the form online.

Related Topics

Where to look for help

WHERE TO LOOK FOR HELP IF I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY EMPLOYER   TRADE UNION (TU) TU is an organisation which negotiates better working conditions with the employer on behalf of its members. This may include better pay, promotions, unfair dismissal, benefits, health and safety issues and others. Union members are workers and employees. If you   Read More

National Insurance

NATIONAL INSURANCE (NI)   NI contributions count towards your State Pension, Maternity Alowance, Bereavement Benefit etc. In order to make National Insurance contributions, you will have to apply for a National Insurance Number (NINO).   WHAT IS NINO   An NI number acts as your personal account which keeps records of all your tax and   Read More

Translate »